Friday, October 06, 2006

From the start (almost 2 months ago) to the end of the Tour.

After preparing for almost 3 months I was finally ready to try my hand at Euro Volleyball or get on with my adventure to New Zealand. I was dropped off at the airport in Toronto by my Dad, aunt and some Italian relatives...yet another goodbye and what I thought would be the last of many, but was I ever wrong about that! It was not a easy thing, to look at the people closest to you and realize that you will not see them for many many months. Off I went. Once I landed in Rome I hopped a train to Cassino towing all of my earthly possessions behind me. I spent almost a week there with relatives. It was very relaxing and comfortable. We stayed at their summer home in the mountains and I ran every day (well, almost) and ate very well thanks to Zia Loretta and Croc, the truffle hunting dog.

My uncle and I in a Chestnut grove in Belmonte.

After my week in the Italian mountains, I took off to Venezia where I was supposed to meet a fellow BringIt tour member. Me, now only carrying one large backpack of my earthly possessions, sat in Piazza San Marco 2 hours longer than I was supposed to. He never showed so I wandered back through the tiny streets of Venice to the train station...I actually ended up at the bus station. I saw two canucks and asked them where a good hostel was. They directed me to this sweet hostel just outside of Venice that had huge pool, 2 hot tubs, 2 bars and was also a camping site. It was awesome and there was a free shuttle bus. I was in! There I met and hung out with 2 Californians (Lake Tahoe area...very cool people) and the next morning we took the bus and water bus into Venice together. The night before I received a phone call from my absentee tour friend...apparently he fell asleep and did not wake for our meeting. So we were to meet today.

I said goodbye and good luck to the Californians (one a fellow teacher, the other a student at UC something) and went to meet up with absentee tour guy. We met, left for the train station and hopped a train to Slovenia. We finally arrived in Maribor the night before we were required to be there so we hailed a cab and he took us to the hostel that I booked from Venice. Next day we woke late and journeyed to the Tour hotel that would be home to us for the next 5 days. That night, all the players arrived (16 of us) but the tour director was nowhere to be found. We made out own welcome dinner in the hotel restaurant. While we were eating, Micah arrived after a 28 hour flight from Australia...tired and swearing lots.

The next 5 days were spent at this beautiful ski resort. During the day we either practiced twice or practiced once and played a match. We played matches in Maribor, and others in Austria and other Slovenian cities. All the guys on tour were great and the level of play was very high, higher than any practice I have been a part of. We certainly got ourselves back in volleyball shape during those 5 days. I was really nervous about being overmatched and making a fool of myself but that was not the case. I was the only opposite (RS) on tour and I did just fine! Two days into the tour I heard I was going to leave the tour at the halfway point, in Vienna, and depart for Amiens, France for a tryout. At this point, I was a very excited little kid. I was really not expecting to land a job. Very exciting.

5 days into the tour and 8 players are sent out for tryouts. We met up with the girls tour in Vienna and switched buses...there I got to chat with Caitlin for about 5 minutes while everyone sorted out their gear (some of these ladies REALLY overpacked!!!) Half the tour is now gone and on their way to Prague. I was off to France, Aleks to Germany, 3 more to Holland and 3 others to Austria. Thus was the end of my tour. More goodbyes were said and I was suprised how friends are made so quickly. I really wanted to see Prague (and still do!) but I was going to France to play volleyball...very cool.

Tour hotel in Maribor

The view from our room at the hotel

Our practice, hangar-style gym

The view from the top of the hill...it doesn't look very big until you get up there!

This crazy open cart, lever-controlled track ride on the hill. You get a seatbelt and pulling back on the handle will cause the cart to brake...the goal was to never use the brake!


The view from inside the cart. I had to go twice of course!

Ricky (left) and Adam Simac (he played for Queen's)


Last night in Maribor started off with beer pong!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home